The Trustees wish to appoint as a volunteer trustee a Treasurer to be responsible for the financial well-being, strategy, and financial administration of the charity and specifically to lead in the Trustees’ duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled and disbursed in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking for a Treasurer who can maintain an overview of the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure that they are legal, constitutional and in accordance with accepted accounting practice. The Treasurer supports internal staff who complete the accounting work, and who are in turn supported by a local firm of external accountants. Reviews of the accounting records are undertaken quarterly. We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates who have a knowledge of VAT and charity finance.
In addition the Treasurer has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Make fellow Board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting and presenting financial data to them.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, including:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits and systems
- Payroll actions, including salary payments, PAYE and NI payments
- Any other records required, as appropriate
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies
- Knowledge of and interest in animals and community farms is desirable.
- An accountancy qualification.
- Candidates who are local are desirable, but it is essential that you are able to travel to the farm for meetings, events and the odd day of volunteering.
The Board meets every other month, and the Treasurer would additionally be expected to spend a few hours a month engaging with Board business, attending events and supporting fundraising activities.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information on being a trustee or to apply please contact Henry Nelless, Chair of Trustees, on firstname.lastname@example.org
For a tour of the farm or information on the our work please contact Emma King, General Manager, on email@example.com
ABOUT DEEN CITY FARM
Deen City Farm and Riding School is an urban farm with an educational focus in the heart of the London Borough of Merton. With over 60,000 visitors a year, our five-acre site includes a farmyard, gardens, riding school, shop, café and small playground. As well as welcoming visitors who want to meet the animals and enjoy the setting, we also work with local schools and community groups to fulfil our charitable aim of improving the lives of everyone in the community. Volunteering is at the heart of the project and we also provide a work experience programme.
Deen City Farm is a limited company as well as a registered charity.
The Board of Trustees provides strategic direction and leadership to the organisation. It acts as the guardian of the charity’s vision and supports the staff team.